SAS is increasing cancellation and rebooking award travel fees
On 1 February 2023, SAS (Scandinavian Airlines) will introduce a fee for canceling and rebooking SAS Bonus tickets. For all bookings made from that date onwards, a fixed fee per traveler will be charged in case of cancellation, via My bookings. or customer service . Their 24-hour money-back guarantee after booking remains unchanged (Thanks God!).
1. WHY IS SAS INTRODUCING A CANCELLATION AND REBOOKING FEE FOR SAS BONUS TICKETS?
The previous policy for SAS Bonus tickets has resulted in a high number of cancellations and rebookings, which has led to low availability of these highly valued tickets. As there are a limited number of award tickets available on each flight, this creates a problem when cancellations occur close to departure, a problem that has increased since the pandemic. For example, more than half of award tickets on flights to/from North America are canceled or rebooked, and this figure is even higher in the higher travel classes.
2. HOW MUCH IS THE FEE FOR A CANCELLATION AND REBOOKING?
- For domestic flights and flights within Europe, the fee is SEK 250 per passenger
- For flights to/from Asia and North America, the fee is SEK 750 per passenger
- The fee does not apply to infants
3. HOW CLOSE TO DEPARTURE CAN I CHANGE MY SAS BONUS TICKET?
From 1 February 2023, you can cancel or rebook your SAS Bonus ticket up until the day of departure for a fee.
4. WHEN AND HOW WILL THE FEE BE DEBITED?
The fee will be charged via payment card in case of cancellation/re-booking. Unexpired points will be refunded to the original member account, and taxes to the payment method used at the time of booking. It is not possible to pay the fee with EuroBonus points. Please note that the fee will only be charged for bookings made after 1 February 2023.
5. WHAT TYPE OF BONUS TICKETS ARE AFFECTED?
The change only affects SAS Bonus tickets. It does not affect regular tickets for points, bookings with Eurobonus Points + Cash and Star Alliance Award bookings. When you combine a SAS Bonus ticket with a regular ticket for points in the same booking, the policy for the regular ticket for points will apply.